Dec 23, 2016Michigan meetings to provide irrigation update
Six Michigan agribusinesses will assist Michigan State University (MSU) Extension in an educational effort by serving as host for a series of irrigation update session scattered across Michigan.
Irrigated crop management topics to be presented by Michigan State University Field Crop Educator Bruce MacKellar include:
- Achieving adequate stands and hybrid selection in irrigated or highly productive corn,
- Managing Nitrogen, Sulfur, Phosphorus , and Potassium in irrigated soils
- Emerging Pest Problems
Steve Miller, MSU-BAE, Irrigation specialist and MSU/Purdue Extension Irrigation Educator Lyndon Kelley will present topic including:
- Integrating checkbook irrigation scheduling with soil moisture monitoring
- Michigan water policy and irrigation implications
- Using irrigation for fertilizer and chemical application
The meeting will earn participants two Certified Crop Advisor Soil & Water Management credits, 0.5 CCA crop management credits and a phase 1 credit Michigan Agricultural Environmental Assurance Program. An application has been made for two Restricted Use Pesticide credits.
Extension presentations will be from 8:30 am to noon at all the sites. The Koviack Irrigation meeting at the Holiday Inn West in Kalamazoo will continue after lunch with an industry representative from Zimmatic Irrigation.
- Friday, Jan.6 — Farm Services, Inc., 4840 N. Greenville Rd., Lakeview
- Monday, Jan. 23 — Michigan Valley Irrigation, 2071 Main St., McBride RSVP to 989-762-5028 or via email @[email protected].
- Tuesday, Jan. 24 — Koviack Irrigation at Holiday Inn West, 2747 S. 11th St., Kalamazoo
reservation required for provided lunch, call 269-273-3010 by January 13.
- Friday, Jan, 27 — Michigan Valley Irrigation, 14265 Beadle Lk. Rd., Battle Creek
RSVP to 269-565-4426. Or via email @ [email protected]
- Thursday, Feb. 9 — Advance Farm Supply, 450 8th St., Burr Oak
- Friday, Feb. 10 — Co-Alliance, 16724 Bakertown Road, Buchanan
call 269-695-6823 or email [email protected]
For more information contact MSU Extension at 269-467-5511 or see the flier on the web at: http://msue.anr.msu.edu/program/info/irrigation#meetings.