Dec 5, 2018Penn State hosting food safety training for growers
Is your farm in compliance with food safety standards? The FSMA Produce Safety Rule states: “At least one supervisor or responsible party for your farm must have successfully completed food safety training at least equivalent to that received under standardized curriculum recognized as adequate by the Food and Drug Administration.”
Penn State Extension will be providing a Spanish version of the Food Safety Training for Produce Growers on March 21, 2019 located at New Garden Township Building in Landenberg, Pennsylvania.
Learn how to keep your farm in compliance with food safety standards with this one-day training. Look for a location near you!
The Produce Safety Alliance (PSA) Grower Training Course is one way to fill this requirement. This training will include the following modules:
- Introduction to Produce Safety
- Worker Health, Hygiene, and Training
- Soil Amendments
- Wildlife, Domesticated animals, and Land Use
- Agricultural Water (Part I: Production Water; Part II: Postharvest Water)
- Postharvest Handling and Sanitation
- How to Develop a Farm Food Safety Plan
After attending the entire course, participants will be eligible to receive a certificate from the Association of Food and Drug Officials verifying that they have completed the training. To receive a certificate, participants must be present for the entire training and submit the appropriate paperwork to their trainer at the end of the course.
FSMA Grower Training is $20 (reduced rate for Pennsylvania Residents) $150 (for non-residents) per participant. To register visit https://extension.psu.edu/fsma-grower-training. For Spanish: https://extension.psu.edu/food-safety-modernization-act-produce-grower-certification-training-in-spanish or call 1-877-345-0691.
Dates and Locations for FSMA:
- Dec. 13, 2018 – Rebersburg, Centre County – 814-865-4027
- Jan. 9, 2019 – New Garden TWP Building, Landenberg, Chester County, – 610-696-3500
- Jan. 16, 2019 – Penn State Extension Office, Doylestown, Bucks County – 215-345-3283
- Jan. 28, 2019 – Hershey, PA – 717-694-3596
- Feb. 18, 2019 – Wexford, Allegheny County – 412-473-2540
- Feb. 19, 2019 – Center Valley, Lehigh County – 610-391-9840
- Feb. 25, 2019 – DuBois, Jefferson County – 814-849-7361
- Feb. 26, 2019 – New Holland, Lancaster County – 717-394-6851
- March 6, 2019 – Carlisle, Cumberland County – 717-240-6500
- March 21, 2019 – Landenberg, Chester County – 610-696-3500 **CONDUCTED IN SPANISH**
More training sessions will be made available.
Dates and Locations for Food Safety Plan Writing Workshops:
- Feb. 5, 2019 – Lancaster Farm & Home Center, Lancaster County – 717-394-6851
- Feb. 27, 2019 – Penn State Center at Overlook Park, Allentown, Lehigh County – 610-391-9840
Food Safety Plan Writing Workshop is $60 to register visit: https://extension.psu.edu/developing-a-
farm-food-safety-plan or call 1-877-345-0691.