Feb 22, 2017USApple kicks off ‘Apple Madness’ tournament
To celebrate National Nutrition Month, the U.S. Apple Association is encouraging apple lovers to join the “Apple Madness” bracket tournament – a five-week, five-round online competition spotlighting 32 apple varieties and health facts.
Launching Feb. 22 and continuing through March 31, apple fans can visit the official 2017 Apple Madness bracket at www.usapple.org/applemadness to vote for their beloved varieties – including McIntosh, Granny Smith and Fuji; popular favorites Honeycrisp and Pink Lady; or rookies like SweeTango, SnapDragon, and Jazz. The varieties with the most votes advance weekly.
To take part, individuals can lock in their Apple Madness prediction bracket between Feb. 22 and 28 for a chance to win a grand prize of an entire three-month supply of apples, a new addition this year to the campaign. Then throughout March, any individual can vote daily to help their favorite apples advance through each round:
- “Fresh 32” (March 1-7): First round features all 32 apples seeded in 16 match-ups.
- “Vitamin-C Sixteen” (March 8-14): Top apples from week one fight it out in round two.
- “Edible Eight” (March 15-21): Eight apples fight to make it to the “fiber four.”
- “Fiber Four” (March 22-27): Only the four favorite apples remain.
- “National Chomp-ionship” (March 28-31): Vote and watch as the ultimate apple variety is crowned.
Voters will have the chance to win plenty of apple-related prizes including gift baskets, cookbooks, gift cards and more from USApple members all month long, and the grand prize will be awarded to the prediction bracket that most closely matches the actual outcome.
Members donating prizes include Borton Fruit, Chelan Fresh, Domex Superfresh Growers, JAZZ Apple, Michigan Apple Committee, New York Apple Association, New York Apple Sales, Rainier Fruit Company, Red Jacket Orchards, Ridgetop Orchards, Riveridge Produce Marketing, Sage Fruit Company and Washington Apple Commission.