Jun 13, 2022Viticulture Field Day returns to SW Michigan Research and Extension Center
The Viticulture Field Day, which was at Benton Harbor’s 12 Corners Winery in 2021, returns to SWMREC with research updates, new vineyard technology, wine tasting and networking. The 2021 event was not at SWMREC due to COVID restrictions.
Check in at the center, near Benton Harbor, starts at 8 a.m., with presentations starting at 9 a.m.
Speakers that are confirmed are:
- Paolo Sabbatini: Techniques for successful vineyard establishment and replanting.
- Tim Miles: Update on automated disease detection system research and future research plans at SWMREC.
- Rufus Isaacs: Late season vineyard insect pests – managing the ones we have and watching for the ones coming our way.
- Michael Reinke/Kirk Babcock: Research update on using unmanned aerial vehicles for chemical application in vineyards for pest and disease management.
- Greg Lang: Update on the SWMREC high tunnel warm season grape cultivar planting.
- Sushila Chaudhari: Update on SWMREC vineyard weed management trials.
The tradeshow will have vendors highlighting some of the newest precision viticulture equipment in the area.
Registration for the Viticulture Field Day is online through the Michigan Grape Society’s new website. The early bird registration ($70) deadline is July 21. Standard and on-site registration is $90.