Jul 31, 2019$12M in produce-processing projects planned in Michigan
The Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development Director Gary McDowell recently announced some food processing projects that will be awarded funds under a competitive grant program.
The $1.8 million in grants for the 20 projects will leverage more than $12 million in private investments, according to a press release.
The majority of the 20 processing projects he announced seemed to involve fruit and vegetables. Here are some of those grants, as announced by McDowell:
- Allen Market Place, operated by Allen Neighborhood Center (Lansing) – $79,216. Expanding the Veggie Box Program and Shared-Use Kitchens to Strengthen Mid-Michigan’s Food System.
- Fluffy Bottom Farms (Chelsea) – $73,000. Equipment Improvement and Market Expansion Proposal.
- Food Entrepreneur Accelerator & Startup Terminal LLC (d.b.a. FEAST Detroit) (Inkster) – $120,000. Modified Atmosphere Packaging Line for Contract Manufacturing Refrigerated Entrees and Condiments in HPP Ready Containers.
- Gallagher’s Vineyard & Winery (d.b.a. Rove Estate) (Traverse City) – $125,000. Gallagher’s Vineyard & Winery Corp (d.b.a. Rove Estate) Production Facility.
- JNelson Farms (Hope) – $40,390. Expanding Permanent and Mobile Frozen Storage.
- Lazy Ballerina Winery (Saint Joseph) – $30,000. Winery Production Expansion to Process Michigan Grapes and Fruit.
- McClure’s Pickles (Detroit) – $90,000. Increase Pickle Production in Southeast Michigan.
- Next Phase Enterprises (Hillman) – $94,800. Establish Commercial Dry Bean and Hemp Flour Production Line to Expand Markets for Michigan Crops.
- North Bay Produce (Traverse City) – $125,000. Purchase Compostable Packaging Equipment for Blueberries.
- North River Distillery LLC (Jackson) – $18,600. Increase Efficiencies to Make North River Vodka Production More Economically Feasible.
- Oomen Brothers Inc. (Hart) – $100,000. Install Broccoli Floret Process Line to Meet Market for Domestic Frozen Product.
- Superior Sales Inc. (Hudsonville) – $125,000. Superior Sales Celery Processing Project.
- TCB Food Processing (Bangor) – $125,000. Increase and Expand Processing and Co-Packing Capacity.
- TCWC LLC, d.b.a. Traverse City Whiskey Company (Traverse City) – $125,000. Purchase Equipment for Improving Value-Added Production of Michigan Cherries and Spirits.