Mar 11, 20162016 Blueberry Kickoff Meeting set for March 21
Michigan State University Extension blueberry team’s annual Blueberry Kickoff Meeting will be March 21, at the MSU Trevor Nichols Research Center. The meeting will start at 1 p.m. and conclude about 5 p.m.
Three RUP credits will be available to certified pesticide applicators in private and commercial fruit. There is a $5 registration fee to cover break snacks and handouts.
Topics to be covered at this meeting include:
- Introduction and Updates on 2016 Blueberry Meetings — Mark Longstroth and Carlos Garcia Salazar, MSU Extension small fruit educators for Van Buren and Ottawa counties
- Updates from the Michigan Blueberry Industry — MBBAC and USHBC representatives
- What Does the 2016 Growing Season Look Like? — Jeff Andresen, MSU climatologist
- Blueberry Weed Control — Bernie Zandstra, MSU Horticulture professor
- Blueberry Nutrition Update — Eric Hanson, MSU Horticulture professor and Extension specialist
- Enviro-weather Update — Beth Bishop, MSU Enviro-weather coordinator
- Blueberry Irrigation and Spring Freeze Control Options — Mark Longstroth, MSU Extension small fruit educator, Van Buren County
- Update on Food Safety Modernization Act — Carlos Garcia Salazar, MSU Extension small fruit educator, Ottawa County
- Blueberry Insect and Insecticide Update — Rufus Isaacs, MSU Entomology professor
- Early Season Blueberry Disease Control Update — Annemiek Schilder, MSU Plant, Soil and Microbial Sciences professor