Apr 9, 20212021 Michigan Blueberry Kickoff Meeting on April 13 is online
Michigan State University Extension and the MSUE Small Fruit Team are hosting this preseason webinar with updates on issues related to the early portion of the blueberry season.
This webinar will deliver information on research and Extension of interest for Michigan’s small fruit industry during the 2021 blueberry pre-bloom and bloom period. The webinar will take place on Tuesday April 13, 2021 from 1-4:30 p.m.
“As in 2020, we are replacing the face-to-face Twilight Meetings we offer every season for a webinar program with the same topics,” said Carlos Garcia-Salazar, small fruit educator, MSU Extension Agriculture and Agribusiness Institute.
“This format for delivering our Extension program is result of the emergency created by the continued COVID-19 outbreak. This is an effort to comply with all federal and state regulations demanding to restrict personal contact between people in large settings, and still be able to provide the assistance and educational programs needed by our small fruit growers.”
The meeting will be using Zoom software and after registration attendees will be sent information on how to access the webinar. The format will be short, 30- to 40-minute presentations with a short question and answer period after each talk. The presentations will also be posted on the MSU Extension Blueberries website soon after the meeting for public viewing.
Topics that will be discussed are:
- Blueberry Industry update.
- Enviroweather update
- Early season insect pests update: Management of the early blueberry pest complex.
- Managing Nematodes in Blueberries: Nematodes Stunting your Blueberries’ Potential? Tips for Detection and Prevent it.
- Weed Management update: ‘The importance of early season weed management in blueberries’.
- Blueberry diseases update: Learn about early season management and get tips for diagnosing blueberry diseases.
- Preparing your Frost Protection program for 2021
There is no cost to attend the 2021 Blueberry Kick Off webinar, but online preregistration is required.
Growers participating in this webinar will be awarded 3 RUP for the renewal of the Private Pesticide Applicator license.