Mar 18, 2019Featured Farmers announced for 2019 Indiana State Fair
The Indiana State Fair and Corteva Agriscience, Agriculture Division of DowDuPont, have identified the Featured Farmers being honored at this year’s Indiana State Fair. In its fifth year, this program celebrates and helps put a face on Hoosier agriculture by connecting consumers with farmers. The 17 farm operations represent all regions of the state, showcasing different agricultural products throughout the 17-day Fair, Aug. 2-18.
“Our Featured Farmers program introduces fairgoers to Hoosier farmers each day during the Fair with opportunities to learn more about where their food comes from,” said Cindy Hoye, executive director, Indiana State Fair Commission. “These farmers have incredible stories to tell. On average, an American farmer feeds more than 165 people – that’s up from 25 people in the 1960s. American agriculture is doing more and doing it better.”
Visitors to the Indiana State Fair can attend a live chat at 2:30 p.m. in the Glass Barn with a Featured Farmer every day of the Fair, in addition to many other opportunities to talk with that day’s Featured Farm family and learn about their operation. To learn more about the farmers, visit IndianaStateFair.com, and follow along on social media @IndyStateFair.
“At Corteva Agriscience, we are committed to enhancing lives and helping farmers succeed. We are pleased for the fifth year to be the sponsor of the Featured Farmer program at the Indiana State Fair which is a perfect place for fairgoers who are consumers to meet farmers who spend their days working to feed all of us,” said Ben Kaehler, Commercial Unit Leader, Eastern Corn Belt, Corteva Agriscience.
Here are the featured farmers, farm products and their home counties:
- Huber family – Huber’s Orchard & Winery, (Wine), Clark County
- Rodibaugh family- Rodibaugh Show Pigs (Soybeans and Pork), Jasper County
- Mark Smith – Mark Smith Farms (Llamas), Montgomery County
- Sean Smith – Culver Duck, (Duck), Elkhart County
- Gelfius family – Gelfius Farms (Tomatoes and Pork), Bartholomew County
- Arnholt family – Arnholt Farms (Corn and Green Beans), Bartholomew County
- Jeff Martin – Triple B Tilapia, (Tilapia) Jasper County
- Jill & Brian Houin – Homestead Dairy, (Dairy Cows), Marshall County
- Lamb family – Lamb Farms (Popcorn), Boone County
- Sommer family – Sommer Farms (Corn, Soybeans, Alfalfa,and Dairy Cows), Adams County
- Sam & Darren Schwoeppe – Schwoeppe Dairy Farm, (Dairy Cows), Dubois County
- Glenn Morris (Beef, Corn, and Soybeans), Gibson County
- Emily & Cory Studebaker (Poultry), Whitley County
- Cline family – Cline Farms (Corn, Soybeans and Pork), Tipton County
- Kevin Bohman – Bohman Bee Company (Honey), Jefferson County
The Indiana State Fair is the state’s largest multi-day event celebrating Hoosiers’ spirit and agricultural heritage. These 17 days celebrate Indiana agriculture and promote it to hundreds of thousands of people across Indiana, and beyond. Nationally recognized for offering great entertainment, showcasing youth, interactive agriculture education programs, premiere facilities and a variety of unique, fun foods, the Indiana State Fair has been an annual attraction for generations of Hoosiers since 1852. The 2019 Indiana State Fair will be held August 2-18. To pay tribute to the heroism of everyday Hoosiers, this year’s Indiana State Fair theme is HEROES IN THE HEARTLAND presented by Indiana Donor Network. Throughout the 17-day event, the Indiana State Fair will salute Hoosier farmers, first responders, educators, members of the Armed Forces, and many others who keep us safe and make us proud. Additionally, each day during the fair, Super Heroes featured in box office movies will be highlighted. For more information, visit www.indianastatefair.com.
Corteva Agriscience, Agriculture Division of DowDuPont, is intended to become an independent, publicly traded company when the previously announced spinoff is completed by June 2019. The division combines the strengths of DuPont Pioneer, DuPont Crop Protection and Dow AgroSciences. Corteva Agriscience provides growers around the world with the most complete portfolio in the industry — including some of the most recognized brands in agriculture: Pioneer, Encirca, the newly launched Brevant™ Seeds, as well as award-winning Crop Protection products — while bringing new products to market through our solid pipeline of active chemistry and technologies. More information can be found at www.corteva.com.