Jan 16, 2023Northern California pear research meetings scheduled
Research meetings are scheduled in February for California’s pear industry.
The Feb. 7 Sacramento River District pear research meeting is scheduled for 10:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in the Walnut Grove Library meeting room in Walnut Grove, California.
The Feb. 9 North Coast pear research meeting is scheduled for 8:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Mendocino County Ag Center Conference Room in Ukiah, California.
The meetings are scheduled to cover these topics:
- Pear Genomics Research Network Website Support.
- Development of a Transgene-Free Gene Editing System in European Pears.
- Rootstocks and Orchard Systems for European Pears.
- Update on Brown Marmorated Stink Bug Trapping in Lake and Mendocino Counties.
- Screening Fungicides to Control Pear Scab (Venturia pirina) and Detection of Fungicide
- Resistance in Populations of V. pirina in California Pear Orchards
- Evaluation of New Bactericides for Control of Fire Blight of Pears Caused by Erwinia amylovora.
- Ecosystem Services and Disservices from Birds in Agriculture.
- Weed Management in Pear Orchards: Issues and Control Strategies.
The meetings are sponsored by UC Cooperative Extension, the and the Pear Pest Management Research Fund and Mendocino County Department of Agriculture.
For more information, pear growers are urged to contact the University of California Cooperative Extension office in Lakeport, California, or via email at
[email protected]. Another contact is Nancy Greilich, UCCE MCP Sacramento office, 916.875.6913, [email protected].
Rachel Elkins, pomology farm advisor for Lake and Mendocino Counties, emeritus, and Clebson Gonçalves, a diversified agriculture advisor, are organizing the meetings.