Jun 12, 2023Varieties, pests, to be discussed at MSU Blueberry Pre-harvest Meeting
Michigan State University (MSU) Extension and Michigan Farming Systems will discuss blueberry varieties, pest control and other issues at the 2023 Blueberry Pre-harvest Meeting.
The event will be from 1 to 4 p.m. Eastern June 15 at the MSU Trevor Nichols Research Center in Fennville. The event is free, but online registration is required.
The program includes updates on advances on the control of the spotted wing drosophila (SWD) and the blueberry maggot, issues concerning replanting blueberry fields, the effect of heat and drought on fruit quality and yield, and outbreaks of secondary insect pest due to climate change.
Speakers and topics scheduled for the meeting are:
• Cheyenne Sloan, MSU Extension — welcome and Introductions
• Nancy Nyquist, Michigan Blueberry Council; and Chad Reenders, Michigan Blueberry Advisory Committee — industry update
• Rufus Isaacs, MSU Department of Entomology — integrated pest management for blueberry maggot and SWD
• Josh Vanderweide, MSU Department of Horticulture — potential new blueberry varieties for Michigan
• Carlos Garcia-Salazar, MSU Extension; and Younsuk Dong, MSU Biosystems & Agricultural Engineering — evaporative cooling and irrigation for fruit quality
• Laurel Harduar Morano, MSU Industrial Hygiene — heat exhaustion and related issues
• Garcia-Salazar — flower thrips, a new threat for blueberries